Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Life Lesson

I decided that with this whole high blood pressure, swelling and possible bed rest at some point thing, I better tell my students what is going on with me. We are a big part of each others lives. Didn't they deserve to know? Who knew that this conversation that should have taken about a minute would turn in to a 25 minute conversation about a variety of things?!? Well, I say that, but I knew all along that this is what it would turn in to, but sometimes you just have to take those moments and not let them pass you by.

I started off with a visual. I showed my kids my feet. I had worn flip flops that day due to the fact that my feet were huge. We all made faces and noises as to the grossness of my feet. I went on to explain to them why my feet were doing that and what it all meant. I stressed to them that the most important thing was that my baby stay in as long as possible. I could deal with high blood pressure and swollen feet. Hagen just needed to be ok. I reminded them of my plan to stay with them until Spring Break and then I would be out of there. I had enough days and I would already be at 37 weeks. Why push myself?!? After reminding them of the original plan, I had to let them know that it might not happen. I might not make it that long. My doctor very well might put me on bed rest, but I would be able to let them know ahead of time. I ended my part of the conversation with this..."If I'm ever just all the sudden, not here, don't worry about me. I'll be fine. The doctor probably just told me I can't work anymore." Here are the ramblings of children's minds that ensued.

"I was born a month early and almost died!"
"Are you scared? You know some people die during child birth?"
"My aunt had that and her baby died!"
Not really the brightest thoughts and warmest of wishes coming from them. Oh well, they're 12. What do they know? :)

And from the boy who is always wearing on my nerves and whose name gets said about 20 times in a 50 minute class period, a hand goes up and he says..."I'll pray for you and your baby." Who said middle school kids don't think about other people? Sometimes they actually know just what to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment