Tuesday, February 23, 2010

This Is It!

I had no idea when I woke up (from what little sleep I got on that horrible night) on Tuesday, February 23, 2010 that today would be the day. Today would be the day my life changed forever. Today would be the day I would fall in love again. Today would be the day my heart filled with a love that is indescribable. I had no idea. This is it! Today, Hagen Ford Homyk, comes into the world. 6 weeks too early and a couple pounds too light, but today we meet him and experience love at first sight.

Blood pressure BAD! 24 hour urine screen BAD! Feeling BAD! I have moved from mild pre-eclampsia to full blown pre-eclampsia. My urine screen verified it this morning. Things are not getting any better. At about 7:30ish, a nurse comes into my room and tells me this is it. 15 or 20 minutes from now, Dr. Burkholder wants me in that operating room. WHAT!!! 15 or 20 minutes!!!! 34 weeks!!!! Nick slept at home last night!!!! My sister isn't here!!!! My baby shower is today!!!! WHAT?!?! I instruct mom to call Nick and tell him to hurry. She calls my sister too. Of course, we live in West Texas. You never know what the weather is going to be like. It had snowed most of the night; not that it phased me due to the magnesium sulfate. :) The team of nurses came in and began prepping me for surgery. It was all happening so fast.

Nick made it through the door with enough time to put on his scrubs. My sister came flying in, just in the nick of time too. This is some scary stuff. Not only am I going into emergency surgery, but there is another life that is counting on me. This life didn't ask to be brought into the world and definitely wasn't expecting to be taken out of his sleepy little nest inside me this soon. In the hallway, I meet my nurse Lisa. Her job is to take care of me. She is very sweet and assures me that everything will be ok. She will take me to recovery following my c-section and will monitor my progress. In the hallway, we see Dr. Burkholder for the first time. Remember he's been out of town all weekend. It is so good to see him. Not that I didn't like any of the other doctors, it's just that he's MY doctor. He took my hand and reminded me that this wasn't an ideal situation, but we had made it to 34 weeks. The statistics were in our favor. He also reminded me that it was nothing that I had done or not done that made this happen. It's hard though not to blame yourself. He told me he'd see me in there and went on to get himself ready.

I looked at Nick in the hallway and was scared to death. He seemed pretty positive and upbeat. His boy was coming today, but for me it was more difficult. First of all, it's just a scary situation, but add all the medicine to it and it becomes very hard to deal with. I felt all these emotions and couldn't really figure out how to show any of them. I was excited to meet Hagen, but 34 weeks kept creeping into my head. I know Nick thought I wasn't happy, but I was. Just a lot to take in.

I went in first to get my spinal block and Nick was able to come in a few minutes later. Dr. Hales and Dr. Burkholder were there in minutes and before I knew it I heard a cry that I was so fearful I would not hear. I saw a pink little boy move across the room to be cleaned off and taken care of. Here are those first few minutes of Hagen Ford Homyk's life. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this story. Of course, it made me cry. It is so scary becoming a mommy for the first time (or any other time), but for sure under these circumstances. You did a great job! He's precious! I love the video too.

    ReplyDelete